Monday, March 5, 2007

Three cheers for the Family. Or, How to say goodbye without falling to pieces.

I’ve been at my parents’ house in Thousand Oaks for a few days, and I’ve spent pretty much all of that time sorting through boxes and boxes of all my worldly possessions. Normally I hate the sorting and organizing and packing of things like this, mostly because as soon as I open a box, I’m compelled to look at every single item within and relive the corresponding childhood memory. It’s quite a lengthy process. But this time it has been good, because as I’ve been sorting through boxes, I’ve had a lot of time to simultaneously sort through all my thoughts and emotions.

(A warning: this will probably get sappy and sentimental very quickly. I apologize.)

I’m trying to figure out the appropriate way to say goodbye to one’s life and to finish that life well without emotionally detaching or becoming excessively sentimental. How do you prepare for and look forward to the next chapter in the story while enjoying and appreciating the chapter that is coming to a close? (For all you international types- has anyone figured out how to do this yet? Or is it just supposed to be gut-wrenchingly hard to say goodbye every time you leave a place?)

I was incredibly blessed to experience true community in Santa Barbara for the past year. As I try my best to say farewell, all I can do is be thankful. I’m thankful for my friends who challenge me to grow in my faith, who push me to follow Christ even when the path is hard, who listen with love. I’m thankful for my homegroup who journey into the Word of God each week with me, who encourage me to reflect on the Scriptures in a fresh way, who share honestly, who faithfully pray for me. I’m thankful for the family that is Family Dinner, who have taught me how to break bread together and how to live as a family. I’m thankful for the roommates who have authentically lived their lives alongside mine and encouraged me in the quest for Truth. I’m thankful for the coworkers who have taught me so much about being a part of an amazing team. I’m thankful for the many laughs and all the joy that has been my life in Santa Barbara.

I will never ceased to be amazed by the way Christ uses His Family, that is His Church, to grow us and shape us. It is in part because of the encouragement and support of my family, friends, and church body in Santa Barbara that I have arrived at this place of returning to Europe, to bring the refreshing truth of Christ to a land that is dry and thirsty.

I realize these aren’t new or unique thoughts I’m having, but I think that, as Christ has chosen His Body the Church as the vehicle for the working of His grace in our world, I’d be remiss if I did not pause to give praise for the blessings of my community in Santa Barbara. Here’s to you, SB.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stop making me cry. I miss you already!